Saturday, November 21, 2009

Milkweed: Trial and Error

I've had in my mind that I want to paint some milkweed pods with the seeds blowing in the wind.
I'm having trouble, however, getting the picture that is in my mind onto paper...(isn't that always the way?)

Last weekend's experiment went well until it came to the silky seeds. I had used masking fluid, and the filaments came out too thick. I tried to fix it with some white paint. I like the background, but other than that I don't really like it that much.

This morning, I thought I'd play around on the back of a failed painting, and ended up with this:

It's a bit more like what I had in my mind, but not entirely. I didn't use any masking fluid, but did resort to a tad of white acrylic for the fluffy seeds. I also used some epsom salt which gave some cool effects. I also had fun playing around with some unusual colours. I used lamp black, and Quinacridone gold, with a bit of Gamboge.

Back to the drawing board tomorrow!


  1. These are both terrific Patricia! I do love the emotion of the second one a tad better, but the tufts on the top one are amazing, too!!

  2. Thanks Cheryl! And you can call me Patty! :-)

    I think I'm going to do a larger one and try to keep it in the same style as the second.

  3. I really like both of them. I am certainly no expert but there are some I like and some don't. Keep up the good work.

  4. Wonderful pieces, Patrica. Love your plant work

  5. Thanks Dahlitsa!

    Gary, thanks so much! I took a lot of plant and flower pictures this summer and fall, so should have a lot to work with over the winter!