Monday, June 9, 2014

Baltimore Oriole Mixed Media Collage

I haven't decided on a title for this one yet. It might be because most of the time I start out with a title already in mind, but this painting kind of came about by accident!
I had started a really cool painting with the background a collage of road maps with a very thin wash of gesso, and clear tar gel swirled over top.  I washed on some really nice blues and aquas. Over that I was going to collage some monarch butterflies, using my pre-painted papers.... Well, the background was great. The butterlies, not so much. I hate giving up on a painting, but I went for the gusto and took a big brush and gesso'd all over it.

Not really knowing where I was going with this one, I took Mary Todd Beam's favourite colour trio of Golden Fluid Acrylics: Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Quinacridone Crimson, and Turquois (Phthalo), and did some random washes. The crimson kind of got left behind!

The result reminded me of the sun and some twigs or branches. I had recently taken some photos of a beautiful Baltimore Oriole that had come to our back yard, and thought he might fit in somewhere.

A bit of a different composition, but I kinda like it!

24" X 12" on Gallery Wrapped Canvas


1 comment: