Last year, I tried to paint all the perennials in my garden and I think I accomplished that. This year I'm sketching some of my annuals and other things around the yard.
I think I've become more comfortable sketching and I'm learning to simplify. Using a fine point pen and watercolour wash has made the process easier. Now I wish I'd used this technique from the beginning! Oh well, live and learn!
Yesterday, I was trying to stay away from doomscrolling on my phone and I was trying to figure out something to do in my art room. A while ago I had used some leftover pieces of matboard and used my gel plate and home-made stamps to put backgrounds on them. One of my Etsy clients reminded me that I had done some collage flowers on them, but that seemed too complicated. I just wanted something to do that was simple and meditative. These are what I ended up doing. I figured that the world needs a little more love right now. Made from love words from friends and family written on cards, plus more from magazines and catalogues. Some of them have little spaces not filled in. Like broken hearts. Appropriate to the times. They are tiny: 3.5 X 2.5 inches. I still have some more background cards with nothing on them, so there may be more of these down the road! Check these out in my Etsy shop HERE . These will be available to US shoppers, as they are small eno...
Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash Due to the US administration’s decision to end the de minimus exemption of tariffs on products under $800 on August 29th, more items entering the US will be subject to tariffs. There is uncertainty on whether the products I produce will be included. I currently ship with Canada Post at fairly low rates. But Canada Post currently cannot include the price of duties with the shipping cost. They would have to be paid by the buyer when the item is delivered. I looked into the cost of other shipping companies and I believe that their prices are too high, especially when the duty is added on. For these reasons, I will temporarily be stopping the shipment of my artwork to the United States until things become more clear, or the tariffs are removed. Thank you for your understanding.
Another fun thing I learned at the Mary Todd Beam workshop was playing with Clear Tar Gel acrylic medium. Taking a plastic spoon, I dip it into the Tar Gel and drizzle it onto some scraps of illustration board or mat board. This one turned out a bit messy because I was trying to do it left handed so I could take the picture! Drizzling Tar Gel You can adjust the thickness of the gel "string" by raising or lowering the spoon and/or adding more gel to the spoon. You have to experiment to get the feel of it. Once they have dried, I spray the board a bit to get it a little wet, then brush on some watery liquid acrylics, letting the paint mix and mingle. I like to do a bunch of these and have them ready to put paint on after they have dried. They are great "warm-up" pieces...something to get you in the studio and getting your paints out. Here are a few of my recent experiments:
these are wonderful, paintings. I'm happy to see such a great new background to your blog. It fits very well!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Thanks Melanie, I'm glad you like my sketches and the new background to my blog....I wanted something different.
ReplyDeleteA lovely idea to record all your garden flowers - I wish I could be as disciplined but my butterfly mind won't settle! Beautiful sketches!
ReplyDelete