Friday, May 21, 2010

From My Sketchbook ~ Jackie's House


Last winter our next door neighbour moved into a rest home and sold the house that she and her husband built many years ago. I don't believe that any renovations were ever done to their house over the years, and it still has the same grey "insulbrick" siding and funky turquoise trim. Both we and our neighbours have large "double lots". When we first moved in, 19 years ago, Frank and Jackie's entire side lot adjacent to ours was a huge garden. Frank worked in it tirelessly all summer, even though he was elderly. They were generous with their bounty and would share whatever they had.
Over the years, the garden got smaller and smaller, until Frank could no longer look after it. Once he passed away, it was grassed over, but some of the flowers and shrubs still remain.
The new owners (who bought the house months ago and not moved in) have sent out a notice that they wish to sever the second lot next to us. We are worried that someone will buy that lot and build one of those huge new houses, squeezing as much house as possible onto that land.
I was thinking how much I've grown to like the view of her house from my kitchen window with it's overgrown forsythia bush on the side which houses a large family of sparrows, and our favourite lilac bush that provides us with sweet scents wafting into our windows.
I went out and tried to capture that view this morning, because I'm afraid it won't be there for much longer.

9 comments:

  1. I love the feeling of this painting. I'm glad you captured it and I hope nobody builds on the lot next door. There is an area fairly close to our house that was so beautiful with orange groves and eucalyptus trees and I always meant to take photos to paint but I waited too long. Now, most of the trees are down and it has been graded for a new housing tract. Aarggh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! That's too bad about the orange groves near your house...it just seems like us humans are taking over every available piece of land. It's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a charming sketch but a very sad story.

    Right now, my husband and I are facing that same dilemma about how to manage our garden as we get older and less agile, so that couple's story seems very poignant. Is there a chance you could get the finance to buy the plot yourselves? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gillian, thanks, but no, we just can't handle the financial burden right now. It would be great though if we could!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have brilliantly captured your feelings in this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the realizations we come to as we age is that nothing remains the same...sometimes that fact hits close to home - no pun intended. It is sad that you may lose that nostalgic and memorable view but wonderful that you were able to capture it in your beautiful watercolor. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks AK and Barb. I painted that view just in the nick of time! The owners, cut down the forsythia bush and trimmed the pine tree, so it looks a lot different now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a really great painting. I remember playing hide and go seek around the garden and in the trees (behind the garage) with Sean when we were younger & Tipper coming out of the garden. It brings back many memories & without looking at your story I knew what house it was instantly :)
    -Kristy A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww...thanks so much Kristy! You're bringing tears to my eyes thinking of those happy memories! You are all so grown up now, but it seems like just yesterday!
    They've started doing a lot of work to the house now, and it will look really nice when it's done, I'm sure. The couple that bought it have a little girl, so it will be nice to have small children playing nearby again.

    ReplyDelete