Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Strawberries Two Ways

Who knew three little strawberries would give me so much trouble? After doing the sketch last week, I thought I'd attempt a collage with the same three berries. I usually do a complementary colour scheme for the background, so I went with a green background for the red strawberries. Wellll....the first green I chose was too bright and garish, so I covered it up with a more dull green. That turned out to be too dark, so did a wash of white over top. That made it kind of dull, so I added a wash of yellow. Now I had an olive green, which was kind of drab. I added some pink to tie in with the berries, which was okay....but, I wasn't really sure about it. Also the green tops of the berries didn't show up very well.

So, yesterday I thought I'd start all over. This time I chose a blue background. I think I like this one better, but as usual my camera hates all things blue or turquoise, so it doesn't show the completely correct colour here.

So here are the two versions:

Strawberries on Blue
6" X 6"
Gallery wrapped canvas

Edit: SOLD!




Strawberries on Olive Green
6" X 6"
Gallery wrapped canvas


Which do you like better?



2 comments:

  1. Strawberries on blue is my first choice! The complements of red and green in the second one seem at odds for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you, Char! In theory it should have worked, but sometimes you just have to break with theory!

      Delete